Some Reasons to Praise!

We get pretty excited around here about answered prayers and any evidence of a less aggressive cancer:

For those who don’t know, and I can’t remember who does know now: I had extensive blood work done yesterday (as in 14 tubes full) and had both a CT scan and a PET scan today.

I just spoke with the research nurse who had seen the results of all those tests and said there has been no significant growth of the cancer or deterioration of my labs during this month of no treatment. Praise God! This is a first!! My labs are holding steady – my liver function tests remain in a normal range (there’s that beautiful word “normal”) and there was no big change in my tumor marker (also a blood test). She said the CT scan had mixed results, meaning a couple of places had even shrunk a bit, despite no treatment for 25 days! Thank you, God!

So everything looks good at this point for beginning the next trial on Monday.  Thankfully, in other answered prayer news: Dr. Bendell found a loophole which allowed me to go ahead and start treatment for the cancer next week despite my dreadful dermatitis: a dermatitis that again defies explanation by any of a number of doctors, and beats anything they have ever seen. A few weeks into the trial we may be able to start treating the dermatitis with steroids or other meds.

In terms of current prayer needs:

1.Please pray that this current whole-body (face-sparing) dermatitis that I have will resolve soon.

2. Please pray that I have minimal pain with my core liver biopsy tomorrow. The drug companies need more of my tissues for study purposes. This was a very painful procedure last time (last year), but they were unable to give me the full pain meds to help last time too. (Can’t remember why now.)

3. As always, pray for full healing of my cancer. “Is anything too hard for God?”

While spending time in waiting rooms this week, we were given even more evidence that we are extremely blessed to live here in Nashville. One man explained to us that his brother, a current Sarah Cannon patient, is from North Alabama and was being treated at MD Anderson in Houston, TX (one of the most well-known cancer treatment hospitals in the country.) His doctors at MD Anderson referred him to Sarah Cannon (SC), saying the best place in the country for his cancer to be treated was just about 100 miles from his home – at Sarah Cannon Research Institute in Nashville, TN.  We also met another lady who told us she had met patients at SC from as far away as San Francisco.

Thank you, Father, for putting me in good hands here at home, so that I am only very minimally away from my family. What a tremendous blessing!

Thank you for your prayers. I know they have been heard!

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Some Reasons to Praise!”

1. Kristin Green April 30, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Sweet Sara – Praying for you continually, praising God for your good news, relieved & happy your biopsy was easier this time, and earnestly petitioning God that “Take 5” will be the one. Hope to hug you soon!

2. Patti Smith April 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

I was so happy to read the “face-sparing” part about the rash! And what wonderful news about the normal result. I am so very thankful for good news. I continue to pray for you and call to mind along with you the verse “is anything too hard for God?” Our God is truly amazing!

3. Sandra Parker April 27, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Prayers are flowing daily from our household.

4. Janey Ledbetter April 27, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Sara, I just wanted you to know that when I read your posts I am always left in awe. Please know our family is praying you will be healed completely. You have changed a mothers life down here in little Wetumpka, AL. Your life is such an awesome example of how we should all live our lives!

5. Annette M. April 27, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Praising God for answered prayer. Will continue to pray.

6. r.elliott April 27, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Praises…so thankful…continued prayers for your healing…and for your biopsy. blessings to you~

7. Karen Pruitt April 27, 2012 at 5:37 am #

Sara, so thankful for this post of good news! And I join you in praise for the great facility there and God”s providential care! We felt that same way when they started the liver transplant program at UAB….powered by God! Before that we would have been going to new Orleans or Indianapolis. Love you all!

8. Judy April 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Oh how I love hearing good news! I am thanking God for His blessings and singing His praises! You so deserve good news! Praying tomorrow won’t be too bad on you and this time you can get some pain meds ahead of time! And I pray the mystery rash disappears!! Blessings to you, sweet lady of God!

9. Your Geek Friend April 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Wow! This is some of the best news I’ve heard in a long time! 🙂 Thanks for sharing as I’ve been curious how all the tests were going. Now, that PI3K inhibitor needs to get going in your body and those stubborn mutant cells need to apoptose (i.e. die and fade away)! I’m praying that your dermatitis will clear up as rapidly as it came (or even faster!) and that your liver biopsy doesn’t even cause a blip on your “pain radar!”

Needless to say, I continue in “persistent” prayer for you and your family!

Oh yeah, I, too, certainly don’t think it’s a “coincidence” that you are located so close to SC and am so thankful that you are able to receive care at such a cutting-edge facility without having to be away from friends and family.

Hope you and your family have a savorful (is that a word) weekend!

Love, your Geek Friend 😉

10. Kim Becker April 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

It seems to me that your subtitle for this blog is all wrong. I think “PRAISING ordinary in an extraordinary life” is more like it. Because of you, everyday, I wake up and thank GOD for ordinariness, normalcy, boredom, etc. There is so much Unseen here.

11. Joy April 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Sara, how appropriate for our family is the title of your post today. We definitely have Reasons to Praise! Our son, Matthew, was in a very bad car accident this afternoon. A tremendous blessing is that no one was seriously hurt, though two cars wers totaled. I have already had several conversations with God today, and as I write this I still praise for ALL that he has done today…including giving you some good results, and I pray for more–even for the cancer to DISAPPEAR! I like that word, too!
    Praise Him In ALL things! And now I’m crying tears of relief.
    Love you,
    Joy

12. Yolanda Pound April 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

So very glad to hear your good news. And no, nothing is too hard for God!! Praying for minimal pain during the liver biopsy and that your skin will completely clear. May you be blessed beyond measure by the One who loves you most.

13. Angela Clifford April 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Praise God!!

14. Janet April 26, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Sarah,
    Praise God From Whom all Blessings Flow! What wonderful news. I pray the liver biopsy is not too uncomfortable for you tomorrow, the trial starts smoothly without any problems, the dermatitis clears up quickly, and, of course, more than anything else, the cancer DISAPPEARS! May He continue to bless and keep you in the palm of His hand.

Janet
    COLE’s Prayer Team

• Sara Walker April 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

“Disappears” – I really believe one day it will do just that.