Happiness

Happiness is…

…the high-pitched baby squeals and belly-shaking giggles erupting from the soft pink lips of my sweet niece Anna Darby

… my momma’s chicken salad with juicy grapes on a light, flaky croissant

… fresh summer buzz cuts on two boys’ heads and running my hand repeatedly along their fuzzy tops

… eating pizza off paper plates in the cool dusk of evening, with chlorine-reddened eyes and unisex beach towel skirts

…”What do you want me to do off the diving board this time, Mommy?”

…the baby lotion/little bit of spit-up sweet smell of baby Darby

…four boy cousins breathing deeply after laughing hard together all day, dozing peacefully all together in the big playroom

…snuggling next to my 6 yr old on the hammock; he engrossed in his book and me lazily rocking it side to side with my foot, just breathing and thanking

…sharing funny kid stories, true mom confessions, and our deepest longings for our children with my best friends: my sister Dinah and sister-in-law Stephanie, all while floating aimlessly in the refreshing cool pool

…my parents’ satisfied grins as we, their children, relate all our parenting woes and frustrations

…my husband’s childlike excitement as he tells me of the appearance of the first tomatoes in our garden; an excitement undiminished as they appear year after year

…the soft glow of two flashlights in a blackened room as my two rambunctious boys happily explore books “as long as we want to” after night-time prayers, because it’s “not a school night”

…caring hugs and expressions of love from church “family” at Sherrod Avenue (my parents’ and sister’s church) who love me because they love them

…Dad on the grill

…watching in amazement as my tiniest nephew inhales two grilled hot dogs

…the sweet night-time prayers of four tired boy cousins who can barely keep their eyes open a second longer

…cornhole and Vandy baseball

…pink cheeks and pink noses, sun-kissed and sweet

Happiness is SUMMER.

Happiness is FAMILY.

Happiness is the love of Christ that fills us all to overflowing; that moves in us and among us and around us like a refreshing mist; that colors our world, our lives, our time together in beautiful hues of pink, gold, blue, orange, purple. The love that is a living, breathing being that shimmers like deep blue pool water, that billows like delicious smelling smoke from the grill, that glows like a sun-reddened face.  Love caressing our souls as we soak up the precious moments together. Living slowly. Drinking in the moments: the smells, the sights, the sounds, the JOY. The knowledge that He is in all and above all and in control of all, taking care of our every need and pouring out his abundant blessings at every turn.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

Heavenly Father – I thank you over and over and over again for the perfect gifts that fill my life to overflowing. For buzz cuts, for sunscreen, for baby spit-up, for family. Thank you for being a Father of lights: I revel in the fact that there is no darkness, no shadow of turning, no shifting in you. You are LIGHT, always bright, golden, dazzling light. Let me see it with my heart’s eyes: these gifts floating down: slowly, perfectly, deliberately, from your bright heavenly storehouse, wrapped in light and color, sent specifically to me, your innocent, waiting, expectant, wide-eyed child with arms outstretched, who knows you not only will provide but you will give in abundance. Help me to see that each and every day, Heavenly Father. Thank you and open my eyes to the gifts I know I am still missing, failing to catch as they float to the ground, but You send them anyway because you are my faithful Father.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

What I am savoring today: Summer and Family.

21 Responses to “Happiness”

1. Ann Robinson June 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Hugs and prayers for you! I have been savoring little and big moments more and more thanks to your sweet reminders! I am praising God that you have happiness in your family and friends to make the tough days a little easier. Blessings and love to you!

2. Cindy June 7, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Thinking about you & praying for you today! Hope your absense means you are having a good time with your family & not that you are sick. I have learned so much from your posts & it has healed a lot of scars for me.

3. Stacie Burke June 5, 2012 at 8:40 am #

What a beautiful prayer…and the day you described sounded heavenly. You write so beautifully…God really gifted you. I pray for you each day throughout.
    In Christ Alone,
    Stacie

4. Mara June 4, 2012 at 6:12 am #

You put that so well!! I could feel all those things:)

On a side note, I was so sick when I was pregnant that I was on nausea medication (that cancer patients use) & I couldn’t eat. The only thing I found that I could tolerate was ice cold Boost. I would put them in the freezer for about an hour and let them freeze a little. -They had to be frozen! I liked all 3 flavors and they are packed with nutrition. My husband works at a hosptial and got me some when he saw I just couldn’t eat anything. They helped my energy level and made me feel a little better. They were also so good in the hot summer. You can get them over near the pharmacy in most stores. I really tried to eat everything and this was the only thing that I could stomach. I was so thankful for Boost.

5. Mary Singleton June 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

As I sat here at the computer, feeling sorry for myself and all the negative things in my life, God brought me to your website. My tears flowed down my face as I too realized all the things I am thankful for and what God has so richly blessed me with. Instead of dreading the hot days of summer, or no money to do anything with, my eyes were opened by the simple pleasures that summer brings and the beautiful memories it can create. If only I let go and let God. Thank you Sara. I love you!

Mary

6. Kristen June 2, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Beautiful post, as always…thank you for writing what’s on your heart, as God keeps using it to redirect and prompt so many of us on to a better path. You are continually on my heart and mind, with many prayers. Thinking of you especially at this moment.
    Love you,

7. Frances Palmer May 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Dear Sara, What a beautiful post. You make us all count our blessings. I am still praying hard for you and your family. I am so sorry I was not at Sherrod Ave. Sun. We went to church with my brothers. I would have enjoyed seeing your beautiful smile. I pray you keep improving each day.
    I Love You, Frances

8. Michele Housley May 29, 2012 at 7:00 am #

Once again, an AWESOME post…you simply are amazing!! Hope you are feeling better these days and so glad you had a good weekend. Love you, Sara….hope all of your days keep improving…

9. Anne Donnell May 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

I noticed Sherrod Avenue church mentioned, so that has to be Florence, AL, where I used to live (on another section of Sherrod Avenue)! Still praying for you.

10. Sandra Parker May 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Amen.

11. Barbara McKeel May 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

What a beautiful description of a glorious summer day filled with family and love!

12. Martha Jackson May 27, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Your post on happiness is outstanding…….so beautiful!!!!! Thank you!!!
    Prayers are still uttered for you each day way out here in West Texas.

13. GF Tony May 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Sara, reading your comments {first part} makes me want to be there sharing this time with you and your family…Your prayer {second part} is beautiful, as you put your thoughts into words, thoughts that are meaningful and so simply put…Our Father has given you a strength that would be envied by other folk going through your trials who have no connection to Him and His love…You continue to be an example of what He is capable of…Love you Sara….GF Tony

14. Darlene Powers Tindall May 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Beautifully said. I love your comments.

15. Larry Skelton May 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Amen and thank you. In His love.

Blessings.

Larry

16. jane gough May 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Loved the post by Sara today!

17. christy May 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

beautiful, and simply perfect!

18. Karen Pruitt May 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Thanks Sara! Beautifully said!

19. Terri Ross May 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks for the reminder to savor the day. Our nine children, husbands/wives, and 20 grandchildren are on their way over for a Memorial Day Eve cook-out and I have hurried to clean, cook, mow, etc. (you know the routine), but now I am going to sit down and cherish these moments with my children/grandchildren and be grateful God choose me to be their Mom/Grandma. God is good, enjoy the summer with your precious family! You encourage me
    continuously and I thank my God for you and lift you up to Him each day!

20. Mary Beth Wilson May 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Loved this & so glad your enjoying all of that!

21. Dawn Reaves May 27, 2012 at 11:48 am #