Faithful Omnipotence

Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.  With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. Psalm 91: 14-16

The Lord, King Jesus, has brought me slowly, often dragging me when I lacked my own strength, to treatment plan #6. We have completed 3 traditional treatment plans before starting on experimental drugs, and now I have completed 2 experimental drug regimens.

When my tumor was originally sequenced, it was found to have 2 mutations that made it a cancerous cell vs. a healthy colon cancer cell. The first mutation was attacked in the first trial, the second mutation was attacked in the second trial. This that I have started today will be the first clinical to try to attack both.

Hope that is as clear as mud.

This all brings me hope. This, I would expect to sound good to those who count their chariots (Psalm 20).  But I will take it. God has given me scientific reasons to have lifted hope.

The plan is very similar to trial 2. I will be taking daily oral pills, morning and evening. Side effects are expected to be as before, which are very minmal (so MUCH BETTER than chemo).

Because so very many things have come up in the 9th inning that we didn’t anticipate, I truly didn’t want write and speculate about today. One day at a time, right? Father, let me live one more day, just this day.

And I am posting this from my treatment room at Sarah Cannon (SC) on trial day 1. So it will not be pretty either to the ears nor the eyes. I am quite groggy. Maybe more on that later.

But I am so thankful to those who’ve gotten me here: my Great and Loving and Faithful God and my great, loving, and faithful prayer warriors. Ever so THANKFUL.

I hope to write more in the coming days about the “coincidences” that got me to this trial. I hope to write more about the nurse who was assigned to me today, who believes and prays herself, who stated “there’s just something about you, I have just had you on my mind ever since I had you that one day earlier.” I think God put you with me today for a reason”, who prayed a loving and tearful prayer with me just before I took my first pills.

God has been EVERYWHERE today. Like the mountains surround Jerusalem. Love has been powerful.  Who can escape the faithful and loving omnipotence of  God?

Because he holds fast to me in love,I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name…

81 Responses to “Faithful Omnipotence”

1. Dana Young December 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Missing <3 Sara <3

2. Cameron December 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

3. Rickandcathyhopper November 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

God is watching over you and leading you down this path! I know it is difficult, but He is there for you always. You are always an inspiration! In His Love, Cathy Hopper

4. Jo Ann September 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

RIP Sweet Sara

5. Kerry August 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

I don’t know you but a friend posted a link to your blog and I am just sitting here weeping. I spent many a day with a dear sister- friend at the Sarah Cannon Center in the transfusion rooms through the year 2010 with the research nurses and doctors, going through Treatment plans 1, 2, 3, 4 (and so on). I don’t think anything in my life will ever replace the array of emotions I could feel in one moment to the next sitting in the room, finding out if she would “qualify” for the next treatment plan, the next research drug. When she qualified, we were louder than any cheerleaders on a football field. And the little things. The people we met. The lives that intertwined ours. The brutal jokes that were so grotesque yet so humorous. And so many realities. Sara, I just got “introduced” to you tonight but you will be in my prayers. I’ve not been in your shoes but I walked alongside someone who was. I love the joy, the salvation, the LIFE in your words. Prayers for you and your family and many, many blessings.

6. Tommy Dunham August 28, 2012 at 5:15 am #

We are all praying for you to overcome this.
    Thank you for your great attitude.

To God be the glory,

Tommy Dunham
    Brentwood Hills

7. kristen August 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

View her caringbridge site for the most receint updates.

8. Missy Q August 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

In case you are unaware, Sara’s family has been writing updates on the caring bridge site. http://www.caringbridge.org, search under sarawalker.

9. Maria Moore August 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

You are more of a blessing to all of us then we could ever be to you. Through your walk with Christ you are a beacon of light for all to bear witness. I am amazed and in awe of your strength, wisdom but most of all
    your faith. Thank you thank you thank you.

10. Beverly Jackson August 22, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Dear Sara,
    Dr. Keen gave me your caring bridge address. Our daughter who is single and 41 years old was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer which began in her rectum and spread to her lungs and liver. She just finished her 12th chemo treatment and will get a pet scan on the 5th of Sept. We and people around the world have been praying for a miracle. The doctors told us they can’t cure her but we know God can and we are trusting Him for a complete miracle. We will have you on our prayer list and ask for a miracle for you as well. Until God does heal you, keep looking up trusting.

Sincerely,
    Beverly Jackson

11. Sara Usrey August 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Has anyone rec’d an update recently. Beginning to reply become concerned. Praying!

12. Angie Saiter August 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Ypu continue to be in my thoughts and prayers… The Battle Belongs To The Lord.. Sara, you have helped me with my walk with God. You have come into my life for a reason, and I find myself savoring moments all the time now.

13. Joan Kirkland August 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

You are probably the most remarkable young woman I have ever seen! God bless you and hold you in the palm of his hand.

14. barbara gibbs August 16, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

sara sweet sara.. you have blessed my life… I feel like I have known you for yrs… I have to care for my hubbie..he had a stroke 2 yrs ago..
    I am in bad health too.. But Sara your words that I read on my email make me feel like I
    don’t really have problems.. I am 68.. have lived a good life.. You have helped me to stop the
    pity party..You can tell your a strong christain.. I pray for you and your family every day..
    Asking God to keep you out of alot of pain…Hope your having a good day..
    Blessing to you
    Barbara Gibbs

15. Sarah August 16, 2012 at 10:28 am #

I just recently was made aware of your story on FB. You are an amazing, inspirational, christian woman. I believe God has a special plan for you and is using you in powerful ways. I will pray for you and your family that you may have courage, peace, and understanding!

16. Brenda Webb August 16, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Sara, you are an inspiration to all of us and we are inspired to develop a closer relationship to God and Christ by observing the active faith that you and your family have. I pray without ceasing for all of you.

17. Vickie Cowen August 16, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Sara, I pray for you and your family many times throught the day.

18. Dana Owens Moorer August 16, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Sara I went to ACA with you, however I am several years older. I have been following your story and every time I read an update I can’t get you off my mind. I truly believe that you are the strongest women that I know. I will continue to pray for you and lift you up to our Lord in hopes that He will heal you. Sara, don’t give up. Please know that their are a lot of other people praying for you as well. God is good and He will deliver.

Dana Moorer

19. Jaquatta Summers August 16, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Sara, I am Brooke Akin’s mother-in-law, I lift you up to God today as I have before since by no accident I found you site one day. I ask God to be kind in his great love for you today! An extra hug and holding you close for an uplifting of strength and his holy power of love! Also a love hug for your children and family like they have not felt as powerful as to date! One smile today extra because sooo many love you!

20. Cynthia August 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Sweet, faithful, warrior, daughter of God and sister in Christ,
    I live some 41/2 hours away, but I have prayed for you and yours for 2 years ever since my blessing daughter told me about your Cancer struggle. I have seen God glorified through you in her, young Mother’s I mentor at home and in those all around you. I look at the names of your prayer warriors and see HIS continual and widespread glorification through you. Praise be to Gid through Sarah!
    There is nothing I can say that I don’t think God has already taught you. Just reminders.
    HE is faithful, HIS word is Truth, HE keeps HIS promises. HE is El Elyon; Our Most High Soverign God. That doesn’t explain what’s happening to you, but I hope it is another of thise reminders and allows you to rest more easily in HIS arms even for these few moments.
    I do not pray for your wisdom and understanding, but that God will give you HIS wisdom and HIS understanding. I believe HE has and will.
    I hear you say just as our brother Job did:”I know that You (God) can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. Therefore I have declared that which I do not understand, Things to wonderful for me, which I do not know. I will ask You, and You will instruct me. I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; But now my eyes sees You” Job 42:1-5.
    I have and continue to pray to El Rio; Our God who sees, to give you HIS eyes.
    in HIS love, a sister in Christ

21. marie slone August 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

i am not sure who you are but i dont need to know you in order to pray for you and your family. i will also put you and your family on our prayer chain at church. i wish you and your family the best and just remember as long as you let god guide you, you will never be alone and the good lord above will never put something in front of you that you and him together cant over come.prayers headed your way.good night and may god bless you everyday

22. Denise August 15, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Thinking about you and how you’re doing….prayers still going up!

23. Sara Holt August 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

So sorry I could not be there tonight. Our small group will be having a prayer time specifically for you and your family. God Bless!
    Sara

24. Hope August 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Praying for you right now. May the Lord be with you and provide peace, comfort, and strength even through everything.

25. Alex August 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Sarah…
    Though you have been my prayers daily with a card here on my desk reminding me of you, I purposely haven’t been in touch. When you and Bryan want to and feel like talking about Mickey, either of you just give me a call or drop a note and you will be at the top of my travel stack. In the meantime I pray that each day gets better and you become one step closer to wholeness. You know you are in WONDERFUL hands. Alex

26. Stacie August 8, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Hi Sara. Just checking in to see if there is any update and to remind you that I am lifting you up to the Lord in prayer throughout each and every day. “And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

27. Aimee August 8, 2012 at 5:16 am #

I am praying for you…wearing my savoring shirt often in order to initiate more conversations about how even more can be praying for you…You are not alone…you have a great cloud of witnesses holding you up and cheering you on!

28. Kristen August 8, 2012 at 4:57 am #

Continually praying for you and your family…so hope things are going well…pray you will feel God’s compassionate touch all over this day. You are so loved.

29. Melissa Tatum August 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Hi! I was just thinking about you and wanted you to know that I am still praying for you daily! Love you!

30. Stacie August 6, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Praying for you, Sara.

31. Sharon August 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Praying for you

32. Becci & John Nix August 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

We continue to remember you and hold you close to our Father in prayer. May you continue to have the strength needed to meet each new day. We love you, Sara.

33. Cindy August 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Thinking and praying for you and your family.

34. Stephanie August 3, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Praying for you.

35. deb cleveland August 3, 2012 at 8:28 am #

God loves you, Sarah. He has your name engraved on the palm of His hand. Rest in those giant and gentle hands as this new trial begins.
    deb

36. Ginger August 2, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Hi Sweet Sara,
    You have been on my mind so much this week. I check in here and on FB for updates. I continue to pray for you- your physical and emotional health. I pray for strength for Brian and your precious boys.
    Deuteronomy 4:31.
    Much love,
    Ginger

37. Joann Strickland August 2, 2012 at 5:16 am #

You’ve been on my mind this week. Praying for you!

38. Frances Palmer August 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Sara, Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you & still praying hard for you.
    I have had lots of sickness in my family lately, but I have never stopped praying
    for you. You are always on top of my list. I really miss hearing from you. I know you
    are with us in our hearts.

I Love You, Frances

39. Stacie August 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Sara, I am praying for you often. “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities,nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, not any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39 Won’t quit praying…hope to hear an update soon.

In Christ Alone,
    Stacie

40. Sarah Sanders August 1, 2012 at 9:07 am #

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. I pray for comfort and healing.

Because of Grace,
    Sarah

41. Hayley Drumwright July 31, 2012 at 8:05 am #

I just wanted to drop you a note that I am continuing to lift you up in prayer. I came back today to reread some of your last posts and pray for your comfort, peace, courage and healing. I pray that you are having good hours, good days, and savoring every moment.
    In Him,
    Hayley Drumwright

42. Clara Hinton July 30, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Sweet Sara,
    Prayers continue each and every day — often many times throughout the day.

May God be granting you peace of mind, freedom from pain, and complete healing.

Love,
    Clara

43. Atresa Farmer July 29, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Hey Sara, I just wanted you to know that I miss your posts! They are SO inspiring and I’ve shared several of them with people I know!
    Also please know that I continue to pray for you!!!!!!!!!
    Peace and perseverance to you ~
    Atresa

44. Linda H July 28, 2012 at 6:53 am #

My heart goes out to you and your family and I have you on my mind and in my prayers so often. God give you strength and courage and comfort and healing. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, faithful walk with us. Your faithful fight is an inspiration and reminder.

45. Kiara Ramirez July 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Dear Sara, you have become part of our lives and our family, as part of our family we need to know how you are doing. We’re praying for you sweet lady. May the Lord keep blessing you so you can continue to bless us. In Christ love, Kiara

46. Stephanie July 27, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Sarah,
    I have been following you since last year. I am praying for you. I want you to know that your posts are so uplifting and encouraging. I sure hope you know how much of an impact you are having on people’s lives.

How are you doing since treatment?

47. Netta July 26, 2012 at 6:10 am #

Sweet Sara, Many prayers are being lifted in your behalf. Please find comfort and strength in the fact that God is holding you near. He knows your name and loves you without measure. You have been such an inspiration to all who know you.

48. Kristy jones July 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Continuing to pray for your daily strength and that you are finding Gods love and care in every part of your day. You are loved my sweet sister in Christ. I failed to mention to you today (when I saw you at Sarah Cannon) that if you ever need anything while your in the clinic please call me. My number is 329-7477, I am on the 3rd floor of Atrium. :)

49. Tammy M. July 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Sara, letting you know I’m still praying for you, lifting you up for healing. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

50. Stacie Burk July 24, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Hi Sara. I was just dropping by here to see if there is any update. I continue to lift your name up to the Lord throughout each day. May you feel His presence in each moment of your day. Praying for healing, comfort and peace for you…praying for strength for your family as well. You are such an inspiration. Thanks for reminding me to savor today.

51. Clara Hinton July 24, 2012 at 5:52 am #

Just letting you know that prayers and thoughts continue many times throughout the day. God is near and His holy will is at work in your life. Let us hold fast to that promise and trust in Him always.

Love and continued prayers for you and your precious family.
    Clara

52. Kimberly July 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Praying for you that: God’s strength will get you through each day; Hope that you trust that the best is yet to come; Peace that only comes from complete surrender to His will. Sara, I am lifting you up in prayer that God will allow the meds to work and heal you. I hope to hear from you soon.

53. Sarah Keith Gamble July 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Dear Sara,
    I’m thinking of you today and wishing you well. :). I pray that you can vividly feel the comforting and continual presence of God, I pray for healing, and I pray for your precious family. Stay strong. Love,
    Sarah Keith

54. Clara Hinton July 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Dear Sara,
    I’ve been checking in several times each day hoping for some kind of update…always with a prayer knowing that God is holding you close, taking care of you, blessing you with peace and strength.

My prayers continue many, many times throughout the day. I remain ever so hopeful for you! I pray you are resting well and that the medicine is working overtime to get you healthy and strong!!!

Love,
    Clara

55. Tina Bean July 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Sarah, you are still almost constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I think of how much pain you must be in and how afraid you may be and I feel so sad. But then I remember your sweet, constant faith and the courage you have shown and how brave you have been and i am just so amazed and thankful that God has allowed me to know you, if only through these updates. May he hold you ever sweeter in his arms!

56. Kristen July 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Bringing your name before our Lord so often…
    Love you,

57. Angie July 11, 2012 at 10:32 am #

I thank God for the loving and faithfull nurse that is with you. Still praying for you sweet Sara.

58. Kristin Green July 11, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Dearest Sara – “The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning! ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul. Therefore I have hope in Him.” (Lam. 3:22-24) I’m so happy to hear from you and to know that you are still clinging to our Lord and to hope. You are living the truth of “I can do ALL things thru Christ who strengthens me!” You’re continually in my heart & prayers. Keep on trusting in the One who made you and loves you the most. Hugs & so much love to you.

59. Annette M. July 11, 2012 at 8:36 am #

So thankful to hear from you. Praying for you & those who love you.

60. Alyson Atchley July 11, 2012 at 7:51 am #

I am lifting you up my sweet sister in Christ! You are precious to our Lord and Savior and you are precious to me! I love you!!!

61. Sally McMahon July 11, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Hi, Sara, Thanks so much for posting, when I know you must be physically tired. We, your siblings in Christ, are so glad to hear from you! I’ve been asking the Lord how you are doing, and am so relieved to hear you have made it to this sixth round of treatment! The Lord also blessed me with a wonderful Christian nurse when I was undergoing chemo… what a great blessing! And then, to top it off, we met again when my husband was asked to minister at the church where her brother-in-law is the pastor! Surely, our Heavenly Father has everything under control. We continue to lift you up here in New England!

62. Annette Wheless July 11, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Sara, I am your prayer warrior in Memphis, TN, and am so thankful to hear from you again! I prayed last night that I would hear a word from you, and God so faithfully answered my prayer!!
    My daughter Catherine and I pray for you daily- we love that you praise God in all things! — Annette

63. Allison Clanton July 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Sara, I have been praying for you since December 2010 when my sister, April Segadi, asked me to lift you up to God. We do this daily. You are on my heart daily, for longer periods of time as you have shared your heart so openly and spoke God’s word so beautifully to me and countless others. Thank you for so unselfishly teaching us despite your trials. Love you and praising Him for you— Allison

64. Clara Hinton July 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Oh, how happy I am to read that you are beginning your new trial treatment!!!! God is good. God is forever and always faithful. And, I’m so thrilled to hear of the nurse who prayed with you. God is most definitely at work in your life — always!

Prayers continue. Hold fast to this new hope!

Love,
    Clara

65. Tracey Reeves July 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I think of you many times throughout the day. I’ve battled colon cancer. I have many faithful prayer warriors that are always asking about you so that they can pray specifically for your current needs. So grateful you had a praying nurse…they are the best. Praying often for your strength and minimal side effects. Praying that you have lots of good days…

66. kathryn holway July 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I continue to pray for you daily…..for your healing, and for God to be glorified through it all!!! We just came back from Montgomery a week ago, and several people asked if we knew your story, and mentioned that they are also praying!! Be strong……you, and your family, are loved by so many!

67. Mrs.DeeDee July 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

I love you sweet girl….I pray for you often…REAL often…you are on my mind and in my heart always…I still pray believing that you will be healed….and have your little girl…I believe it…I pray it…I beg for it. Love you so….

68. Stacie Burke July 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Oh Sara you are such an inspiration. I have come before the Lord in prayer for you so many times leading up to today. I hope you take comfort in the fact that so many people are lifting you up in prayer. We shall not cease!

69. Chandra July 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

So grateful to hear your “voice” today Sara! May He continue to sustain you in His faithfulness. Continuing to keep you in prayer.

70. Brenda Knox July 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Sara, I have been whinning tonight because I am so tired and just weary. Thank you for smacking me down and putting my whinning in its place. Yes, that praying nurse was put in your path for a reason….I believe that with all my heart. I love you , Sara…

71. Linda July 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

I pray that the Lord continues to bless you and keep you wrapped tightly in his arms as you go through this next round of treatment. You and your family are in my prayers.

72. Frances Palmer July 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Dear Sara, So good to hear from you today. I am praying the new treatment will work good.
    I had eye surgery today. Just as they were putting me to sleep , I said a prayer for you.
    I am still praying hard for you and your family.
    I Love You, Frances

73. Susan T July 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Just got through reading your update. Can’t wait to hear about all the coincidences. Here’s to treatment plan #6 – praying for you every day!

74. deb cleveland July 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Dear Sara,
    Please know that you are continual on my lips as I pray to our Father. Thank you for sharing such a personal journey with us, even on the days you don’t feel like it. And, thank you for reminding me that our Father knows my name. With my husband’s next PET scan coming up, we’re getting a little squirrely. We usually do right before we learn if we’re ‘clean’ or not. But, since my friend, Sara, has reminded me that HE is the one who named me, all will be well.
    blessings & thoughts,
    deb

75. r.elliott July 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Thanks for the update…you have really been on my heart these past couple of days. So thankful you feel God so near…He is so faithful…but we just have to have our eyes opened to see Him. Sara…you have wonderful vision. blessings and continued prayer.

76. Sara Jo July 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

So glad that this day is here. Love you and praying for you always!!

77. Linda Boyte July 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Sara, it is so wonderful to hear from you. You and your family are hardly ever out of my mind. I pray continually. You are such an inspiration to so many including myself. If this type of situation ever happens to me, I hope I will go through it with half the grace you have. God is truly working miracles through you and, I believe, to you. I believe that there will be a time that you will be healed. God is so good and loving, how can we not lean on Him in good time and bad. Please know that I am one of many holding you up in prayer to our Heavenly Father. Linda

78. Alithea Stewart July 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

I am so thankful to “hear your voice”. I have been so anxious to hear of your progress. May God bless this next phase of treatment. You are such an encouragement to me. Your words help lift me up more than you will ever know. Love, prayers and blessings to you and all of your family!
    Alithea

79. lynn July 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Sara, Thinking off you and praying with and for you! I believe that you are in the 9th inning of your Super Bowl win over the cancer. Please know that even when we don’t hear from you, we are forever thinking of you and praying for you. You are never out of our minds or out of gods loving hands. Lynn (a friend you have never met but who cares deeply for you, just as all of your other prayer warriers)

80. Sara Holt July 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Loving you from afar and continuing to pray, pray, pray. It was good to read your wise and faithful words just now.

Love,